- Key Information
- Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Report
- SEND Owls
- What are Special Educational Needs?
What are Special Educational Needs?
We are a mainstream school. We are fully committed to including children with a range of needs.
The Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25 (July 2014) states: ‘A pupil has SEN where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, namely provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age.’ (para. 6.15)
There are 4 areas of Special Educational need:
- Communication and interaction
- Cognition and learning
- Social, emotional and mental health
- Sensory and physical.
These include the areas of need below:
- Communication difficulties
- Specific learning difficulties
- Behaviour, emotional and social difficulties including mental health
- Autism spectrum
- Physical difficulties and medical needs
- Sensory difficulties